Creamy, rich and healthy – this Spinach Pasta in Avocado Mushroom Sauce is a delicious, guilt-free comfort food option that is a balanced meal in itself too – you can’t ask for more!
Its true – I love pasta. I seriously do, especially once this Spinach Whole-Wheat Pasta in Avocado Mushroom Sauce came into my life! Moreover, the free calorie overload that comes along with pasta made from refined flour, especially while you are watching your weight or worse, trying to fight those love handles, makes it an unfriendly food option. Not to mention the oodles of cheese that goes in, not helping with the calories either.
Why Whole-wheat pasta?
If staving off pasta entirely is never a choice for you, try to improve the nutritional value of your pasta recipes by using whole-wheat pasta instead of pasta made from ‘wheat semolina’ or ‘refined wheat flour’. In fact, whole wheat pastas are supposedly at least twice as much rich in fiber content, have twice the Calcium content and are at least 5 times healthier as compared to pasta made of refined flour. The addition of spinach to wholewheat pasta translates into greater health benefits, with added iron, magnesium, copper, choline, folate, vitamins (B2, B6, K, C, A, E) etc., to name a few!
While whole-wheat pasta does bring in a healthy dimension with additional fiber and improved protein, it helps to remember that pasta should be eaten in moderate portions – too much of anything is bad and sadly pasta is not an exception to this rule.
Healthy-fying your pasta sauce
Interestingly, this recipe uses avocados, which allows you to restrict or eliminate the cheese content. As a matter of fact, avocados are a great source of folic acid and vitamins B, K, E and C, aside from offering loads of healthy fats and dietary fiber. Avocado mash renders a smooth, rich feel to the sauce, just like cheese does. As a result, I don’t need to douse my pasta in cheese anymore, which helps me stick to my intended macronutrient count for the day.
Eat more color
Vegetables like bell peppers and mushrooms add essential micronutrients as well as fiber content to the dish, making it a balanced meal. In fact, colorful vegetables are a great source of micronutrients as well as phytonutrients and antioxidants, enabling you to lead a happier, healthier life.
Wish to explore other wholesome and healthier pasta recipes? Check these out:
For more healthy comfort-food options, try my
RECIPE: SPINACH WHOLE-WHEAT PASTA IN AVOCADO MUSHROOM SAUCE
Total preparation time: 30 minutes
- 250g Durum Whole-wheat Spinach Fusilli (I used pasta by Fab India)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5-6 garlic pods, minced
- 2 bell peppers, yellow, thinly sliced in strips
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 100g white mushrooms, sliced into quarters
- 4-5 sprigs of coriander/ cilantro
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- a tsp dried herbs (basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary)
- 1 tsp paprika
- a tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 5 tbsp olive oil
Heat salted water in a pan and add pasta as the water comes to a boil. Add 2-3 drops of oil to prevent pasta from clinging. Cook till the pasta is al dente. Drain the water – reserve some for the sauce.
Now, heat oil in a non-stick pan and add chopped onions, minced garlic, bell peppers, zuchhini and mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms are cooked. Sprinkle the dried herbs and turn off the flame. Set aside .
Meanwhile, scoop avocado flesh from the shell with the help of a spoon and mash in a bowl. Add salt, pepper, cilantro, shredded cheese and cooled vegetable mixture and mix well. You can add some water reserved from earlier to adjust the consistency of the sauce to your liking.
Lastly, pour this sauce on the cooked pasta and mix well until it coats the pasta uniformly.
I’d love to hear how this recipe turned out for you, if you tried it. Do post a pic on Instagram and tag #fitfoodiediary in the picture!
SPINACH PASTA IN AVOCADO MUSHROOM SAUCE
- 250 g Durum Whole-wheat Spinach Fusilli I used pasta by Fab India
- 2 onions chopped
- 5-6 garlic pods minced
- 2 bell peppers yellow, thinly sliced in strips
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 100 g white mushrooms sliced into quarters
- 4-5 sprigs of coriander/ cilantro
- 1 tbsp dried herbs basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Heat salted water in a pan and add pasta as the water comes to a boil. Add 2-3 drops of oil to prevent pasta from clinging. Cook till the pasta is al dente. Drain the water – reserve some for the sauce.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add chopped onions and minced garlic. Once the onions are translucent, add bell peppers, zuchhini and mushrooms. Sauté until vegetables are cooked.
- Add the dried herbs and turn off the flame. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, scoop avocado flesh with the help of a spoon and mash in a bowl with a fork.
- Add salt, pepper, cilantro, lemon juice, and cooled vegetable mixture and mix well. You can add some water reserved from earlier to adjust the consistency of the sauce to your liking.
- Add this sauce to the cooked pasta and mix well until it coats the pasta uniformly.